Top safety tips for new homeowners in Harrisburg
If you purchased your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and your family. You might be thinking about how you should personalize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too far, make certain you consider home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll help you do so with our safety tips for new homeowners in Harrisburg.
Conduct a safety check of your new Harrisburg property
Now that safety is top of mind, see what your new home already has. To begin, make sure you have functioning smoke detectors. Test each one and switch out batteries if needed. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Do you need a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to replace door locks and inspect all window locks. Go through every space and get familiar with your property.
Smart security tips for your Harrisburg home
Once you’ve completed your opening check of locks and safety alarms, you should consider elevating your protection. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Harrisburg.
- Opt for a full-featured home security system. One of the best things a new homeowner in Harrisburg can do is install a home security system. Today’s wireless technology allows you to keep an eye on your residence even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can view real-time video footage, engage entry locks, and even talk to visitors on your front steps straight from your cell phone. You can personalize your defense with amazing security implements like surveillance cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Modernize your outside lighting. Exterior lights with motion detection are an effective way to deter prospective invaders. You might even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. When a motion sensor is set off, it can signal your outdoor camera to record.
- Keep your premises neat. Do you have an unblocked sightline of your property from the interior? Are there large shrubs and trees blocking the view? Get rid of possible spots to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it as well.
- Meet others in your community. Talking about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people nearby, there’s a greater probability they’ll advise you if they discern anything suspicious. You might also get involved in your community’s social media presence if one is available.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re home by turning on smart lights at predetermined times. This is a great feature when you’re away.